Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A couple of semesters ago I had to write a paper for my history class, where I looked at old newspapers from the Morgantown area and compared the advertisements in them throughout several years. I was looking to find changes in prices, locations in the paper, ad styles, and anything else.
I looked at hundreds of papers from right before the Great Depression till when the market was stable again. I analyzed every possible angle, even counting the number of ads from particular companies as time went by. I couldn't leave any stone unturned because I had to have as much information as I could to come up with hypotheses. No one had ever written a paper on this so I couldn't use any other reference. It was very much what I will be doing for this semester's project!
As I wrote my paper I used lots of pictures from the papers, and I commented on them and doodled on the ads to show my thoughts. All of the paper was my own, and I couldn't borrow from anyone else, but I used evidence from the papers to make my point.

1 comment:

Scott Wible said...

Sounds like a very interesting project! And it sounds like you have lots of experience conducting detailed, exhaustive research--great preparation for your project this semester! I'd be interested in hearing you provide a more detailed analysis here of some of the specific decisions you made about which ads to incorporate directly into your text, which you decided only to describe, which ones you to decided to analyze/interpret, etc. (the six layers of intertextual reference that Bazerman describes in his essay). This analysis would help us to see how you used intertextual reference to shape your text.